- 8 large egg whites at room temperature
- 2cups caster sugar
- 4 tsp corn flour
- 2 tsp lemon juice (or white vinegar)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup fresh passionfruit pulp
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 egg yolks
- 6 tbsp butter
- Whipped cream
- Extra fresh passionfruit
- Mint leaves
To make the mini pavlovas:
- Pre heat the oven to 180C.
- Line a large flat baking tray with baking paper.
- Whisk the egg whites until firm peaks develop.
- Gradually add the sugar a little at a time while whisking. Keep whisking until the meringue turns to a satiny texture.
- Sprinkle over the corn flour and whisk in, followed by whisking in the lemon juice and vanilla extract.
- Using a spatula, spoon the meringue out onto the baking tray, each mini pavlova to be approximately 10cm wide.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 150C and place the tray in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Once the pavlovas are cooked turn the oven off but don’t open the door, leave them in the oven for a further 30-40 minutes to slowly cool down.
- Remove the mini pavlovas from the oven and transfer to a wire rack until they are completely cooled. TIP: They can be made ahead of time and stored in an airtight container.
To make the passionfruit curd:
- Combine the fresh passionfruit pulp and the sugar into a glass bowl placed over a double boiler (saucepan with simmering water). Ensure the base of the bowl is not submerged in the simmering water. Whisk until the sugar dissolves.
- In a separate bowl lightly whisk together the egg yolks and lemon juice.
- While whisking, gradually add one spoonful at a time of the warm passionfruit mixture into the bowl of egg and lemon juice mixture. Ensure you are whisking so nolumps appear. Once both have been fully mixed, add the bowl back to the double boiler and whisk further until the mixture becomes thick and creamy.
- Add the butter and whisk through.
- Take off the heat and allow to cool down before placing in the fridge covered until you are ready to serve the pavlovas.